With year-round sport’s specialization for many young athletes (while not my recommendation, I certainly know it’s common), summer offers some great opportunities to help avoid over-use injury, burn out, and assist with mind and body recovery. Here are just a few ideas to get your creative side going on how your athletes can take advantage of warmer weather!
Summer Time Ideas for Athletes:
Get sun! Vitamin D can help with bone health, a positive attitude, and may help prevent some diseases.
- Consider 10 minutes in the sun and then add sunscreen to avoid sun damage/skin cancer.
- 30 minutes of sun exposure gets up to 50,000 IU of Vitamin D.
- More info on benefits of sun exposure: www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/ss/slideshow-sunlight-health-effects
Cross training is fun, helps avoid overuse injury while gaining muscle in areas not normally trained!
If you are in an impact sport like gymnastics, soccer, or running- enjoy swimming and games in the pool.
If you are in a non-impact sport like swimming or diving- enjoy a hiking trail, or a jog at the park.
All sports can enjoy the aerobic benefits of a bike ride, the anaerobic benefit of 30 minutes of light weight resistance training, and some relaxation with a walk at the zoo, the park, or around the neighborhood.
Excite your Taste Buds!
- Consider a trip to the Farmer’s Market to find fresh, local, healthy fruits and vegetables and even try something you haven’t before!
Have Some Fun!
- Believe it or not- a little time away from work (or sport) can rejuvenate your spirits and improve your work ethic when you go back to practice.
- Go to a concert, a Royals, Current, or Sporting game, Worlds of Fun, fishing, a camp-fire, outdoor shopping, or whatever you enjoy OUTSIDE!
Proud medical partner of Pinnacle Gymnastics